Virtual EMDR & Online Sandtray Therapy Integrated
3.5 EMDRIA Credits. Surpassing the Limitation of Words through Deeper Right Brain Engagement
This advanced training is for EMDR trained clinicians is approved for 3.5 EMDRIA Credits
with Jackie Flynn, Ed.S, LMHC-S, RPT
Host of Play Therapy Community Podcast, EMDRIA Approved Consultant & Registered Play Therapist, Host of EMDR with Kids & Innovative Child Therapy Symposium and Founder of EMDR & Play Therapy Integration Support, LLC
Deepen your trauma work through the combination of Virtual EMDR & Sandtray therapy with all ages. This robust therapeutic combination is an ideal approach to working with clients online as it strengthens the profound healing power of EMDR by taking your whole-brain EMDR work to a deeper level through the psychological distance of the metaphor, safety, insights and containment of Sandtray Therapy. This integrated approach enhances the bilateral connection between the hemispheres of the brain, which is at the heart of the EMDR process, as well as dual awareness throughout the phases. In this course, you will learn how to integrate Online Sandtray Therapy throughout all 8 Phases of EMDR Therapy.
Sandtray Therapy offers a deeper access to traumatically stored material through the power of the metaphor as it increases right brain engagement.
This integrated approach supports the bilateral connection between the hemispheres of the brain, which is at the heart of the EMDR process, as well as dual awareness throughout the phases.
Online Sandtray and Virtual EMDR Therapy make an ideal combination (much like macaroni & cheese!!) throughout all 8 phases: History Taking, Preparation, Assessment, Desensitization, Installation, Body Scan, Closure, and Re-evaluation. Each one of these therapies alone has great potential to heal trauma, but when combined the healing power is limitless.
Apply what you learn in this training with the remote Sandtray options of your choice. Fortunately, there are GREAT OPTIONS when it comes to delivering Sandtray Therapy remotely. Here are a few discussed in this training: Virtual Sandtray App from Dr. Jessica Stone, Dual Camera Set-Up of Tangible Sandtray, and Dr. Karen Fried's free Online Sandtray site of how to engage in Sandtray remotely with clients.
It's important to know that the ethical practice of Sandtray Therapy, remotely or in-person, requires periodic quality training.
Following are a some of the many quality Sandtray Therapy training and resource options available:
(Jackie Flynn is not affiliated with the following recommendations. These resources are listed for your convenience as quality options for further training to strengthen your capacity to ethically engage in quality Sandtray Therapy with your clients.)
- Integrating EMDR & Play Therapy Through The Virtual Sandtray App (VSA) with Dr. Jessica Stone and Dr. Jennifer Lefebre
- Association for Play Therapy Trainings
- Healing Hurting Inner Worlds for All Ages: Providing EMDR through Sandtray-Based Play Therapy with Marshall Llyles
- World Association of Sand Therapy Professionals
- Gil Institute for trauma recovery and education
- Ana Gomez's EMDR- Sand Therapy Specialist Intensive Program
- Jamie Lynn Langley's Sandtray Therapy Trainings
For this course, I chose to use the Online Sand Tray by Dr. Karen Fried for instruction and demonstration purposes that is available FREE online at https://onlinesandtray.com/. We feel so grateful to Dr. Fried, from Oaklander Training, for making this amazing resources available to people around the world free of change. THANK YOU!!
- Review the 8 phases of the Basic Protocol of EMDR therapy: History Taking, Preparation, Assessment, Desensitization, Installation, Body Scan, Closure, and Reevaluation through the lens of Online Sandtray Therapy integration.
- Summarize basic tenets theory, skills, tools, and directives of Sandtray therapy and how to apply learned knowledge in the online format.
- Explore important considerations when delivering therapy remotely.
- Review relevant Therapeutic Powers of Play in regards to the integration of Virtual EMDR and Online Sandtray Therapy."
- Observe demonstrations of a client session using all 8 phases of EMDR Therapy delivered virtually integrated with Online Sandtray Therapy. (PHASE 1-8: HISTORY TAKING, PREPARATION, ASSESSMENT, DESENSITIZATION, INSTALLMENT, BODY SCAN, CLOSURE, & RE-EVALUATION)
- Learn how to support the client’s capacity to self-regulate through regulation techniques conducive to the online setting. (PHASE 2: PREPARATION)
- Gain a basic understanding of the Polyvagal theory in regards to client’s window of tolerance, somatic awareness, and abreactions and how to use the Sandtray to help clients regain a sense of connection and safety. (PHASE 2: PREPARATION)
- Learn how to support the EMDR AIP model, Adaptive Information Processing, and how to hold space for, recognize, and respond to adaptive shifts throughout the Online Sandtray Therapy process. (PHASE 2: PREPARATION)
- Learn multiple Online Sandtray Therapy directives to support client’s emotional literacy and emotional somatic location awareness. (PHASE 2: PREPARATION)
- Observe a demonstration of the use of virtual images as attachment figures to prepare the client for later phases of EMDR therapy and to build a bank of applicable cognitive interweaves. (PHASE 2: PREPARATION)
- Observe how to use Online Sandtray Images for later phases of EMDR therapy throughout resource development. (PHASE 2: PREPARATION)
- Learn how set-up an EMDR target in the Online Sandtray site through Sandtray Therapy directives, elicit positive and negative cognitions, and to measure disturbance levels while working virtually with clients. (PHASE 3: ASSESSMENT)
- Explore various online options for Bi-lateral Stimulation in the Online Sandtray to reduce the client’s level of disturbance for identified targets. (PHASE 4: DESENSITIZATION)
- Learn Online Sandtray Therapy directives to reassess and engage in positive cognition installment. (PHASE 5: INSTALLATION)
- Observe how to verbally direct clients to track their body sensations and engage in a body scan following reprocessing in the Online Sandtray. (PHASE 6: BODY SCAN)
- Learn how to direct clients to pendulate somatically stuck targets. (PHASE 7: CLOSURE)
- Learn how to use the Online Sandtray and surrounding from the client’s physical location as an emotional regulation tool to implement of grounding techniques for stabilization and attainment of a sense of equilibrium during the closing phase of an EMDR session. (PHASE 7: CLOSURE)
- Learn how to reassess previous EMDR targets, SUD (subjective unit of distress) and the VOC, (validity of cognitions) in the Online Sandtray. (PHASE 8: RE-EVALUATION)
Jackie Flynn, EdS, LMHC-S, RPT is the founder and director of Counseling in Brevard, is a Licensed Psychotherapist, Registered Play Therapist, Trauma Therapist, Couples Counselor, Education Consultant, and Parent Coach. She is the creator of the following imagery books: Jackie Feels and Animal Imagery: EMDR Inner Resource Development. Her passion for helping children and families in a variety of settings inspired her to open a private practice group in Cocoa Village Florida where she provides caring, thoughtful counseling and therapy to individuals of all ages, families, couples, and groups.
As a proud veteran of the US Army, a Give an Hour Provider, and a Certified EMDR Therapist and EMDRIA Approved Consultant, she is passionate about helping people heal from traumatic experiences and move towards a happier, healthier life. She has special interests in Anxiety, Depression, Adoption, Grief, Relationship Struggles, Learning Disabilities, and Attention Deficit Disorder.
Jackie earned an Education Specialist degree in School Counseling from University of Central Florida and Graduate Certificates in Play Therapy and Nonprofit Management. Prior to her current work at Counseling in Brevard, she was honored to be the School Counselor at Sculptor Charter School in Titusville, where she currently serves on the Board of Directors as the Parent Representative. Jackie is also the creator and host of Play Therapy Community and Parenting in the Rain Podcasts, downloaded over 160,000 times in over 50 countries.
StartIntroduction to this Course (16:21)
StartREAD THIS FIRST: EMDRIA's Guidelines for Virtual EMDR Therapy
StartVirtual EMDR & Online Sandtray Therapy 8 Phases EMDRIA Definition Fidelity Checklist
StartPositive Cognitions Screensharable
StartOverview of the 8 Phases of EMDR Therapy & AIP Model (12:29)
StartOverview of the Main Tenets of Sandtray Therapy Online (23:26)
StartVirtual EMDR Phase 1: History Taking in the Online Sandtray Therapy with Demonstration (30:05)
StartVirtual EMDR Phase 2: Preparation in the Online Sandtray Therapy with Demonstration (57:02)
StartVirtual EMDR Phase 3: Assessment in the Online Sandtray Therapy with Demonstration (24:37)
StartVirtual EMDR Phase 4: Desensitization in the Online Sandtray Therapy with Demonstration (24:39)
StartVirtual EMDR Phase 5: Reprocessing in the Online Sandtray Therapy with Demonstration (10:16)
StartVirtual EMDR Phase 6: Body Scan in the Online Sandtray Therapy with Demonstration (4:01)
StartVirtual EMDR Phase 7: Closure in the Online Sandtray Therapy with Demonstration (8:23)
StartVirtual EMDR Phase 8: Re-evaluation in the Online Sandtray Therapy with Demonstration (5:53)
StartClosing Comments from Jackie (0:55)
StartRequired Course Evaluation
Frequently Asked Questions
Thanks for your interest in Virtual EMDR and Online Sandtray Therapy Integrated course!